Private Sector Housing Manager
36 hours per week
Are you an environmental health officer looking for a new challenge? Are you as strong working independently as you are working in a team? Why not read on and find out more?
We have both residents and landlords who need support and we need you to provide that support. We have a dedicated private sector housing team and we need you to lead and manage that team.
About the role
You will lead our housing enforcement, financial assistance, empty home and home improvement services within your team. You will be supporting residents by:
- effectively managing private rented housing that meets the needs of the occupants and is fit for purpose
- contributing to the health and wellbeing of residents through home improvements and disabled facilities grants
- minimising the number of empty homes in the borough
You will advise private sector landlords and residents on housing standards and how to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. As a manager we need you to direct and enable your people but will also get operationally involved when needed.
You are an environmental health officer by profession, who can work effectively with your colleagues in the wider housing team, across the council, around Elmbridge and beyond.
- You are qualified with a degree in Environmental Health (or equivalent) and have a HHSRS qualification.
- You have worked in local government with experience in using private sector housing IT systems, delivering major adaptations through disabled facilities grants, and formally using the housing and environmental health enforcement legislation.
- You are a leader with the ability to advise, influence and collaborate to build relationships with colleagues, partner agencies and stakeholders, whilst motivating and supporting your team.
You will be joining a progressive organisation, determined to support its residents in all aspects of their lives. You will find yourself being supported by a dedicated team and committed management group.
We are a learning organisation which means we will support you in both your professional and personal development. We also understand the role we play in the physical and mental wellbeing of our people; we have trained mental health first aiders, we offer lunchtime walks and runs, you can play tennis in the free courts at the Civic Centre in Esher or you can sit by the pond at lunchtime.
We also understand flexible working and we are happy to work with you to ensure you have what you need to succeed.
Check out our careers website for more on what it is to work at Elmbridge, including the benefits such as free car parking and discounts from restaurants and cafés on Esher high street.
If you would like to have a chat about this role, please contact Colin Waters, Head of Housing, on 01372 474631
Application Deadline: 5p.m. on 5th August 2019
Elmbridge Borough Council - Working for Equality. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
How to apply
Please note that we do not accept CVs. We only accept online applications.
To apply use the "Apply Online" button below, which will take you to our Applicant Tracking System ('ATS') where, once you have applied, you can log on to your online account at any time to view the status of any of your applications. By using ATS, you can track the progress of your application(s), receive communications by email, select your own interview time online and see whether you have been made a conditional offer.